When the "City of the Future" was built at the 1939 World's Fair in New York, the Cord Meyer Company had already been serving the people of Queens for over forty years. And the Meyer family had been an integral part of community life for almost a century.
By the early 1890s, Cord Meyer, Jr. had recognized that the future for Queens would not lie in remaining a rural outpost, or the limited preserve of a few wealthy landholders. Rather, his vision was of a vital, growing neighborhood, with homes and schools, shops and services. So Mr. Meyer purchased a farm in Newtown belonging to Samuel Lord - co-founder of Lord & Taylor - and renamed the area Elmhurst. He laid out subdivisions and streets, installed sewers and trolley connections. The area prospered, inspiring similar growth in the adjoining areas.
The family real estate firm was originally structured as a partnership, with the three Meyer brothers - Cord, Christian and John - holding equal shares. In 1899, the partnership became a corporation: The Cord Meyer Company.
Home | Who We Are | Who We Work For | How To Reach Us